The Society of Illustrators invites publishers, illustrators, agents, and authors to submit books to the 43rd annual exhibition of The Original Art, founded by Dilys Evans in 1980 and sponsored by the Society since 1989. A jury of outstanding artists, art directors, and editors in the field of children’s publishing will choose which books are to be represented in the show and will select gold and silver medal recipients.
ANYONE MAY SUBMIT: Publishers, illustrators, agents, and authors. Publishers, please pass along the website link to eligible artists if you are not able to submit their work.
ELIGIBLE FOR SUBMISSION
- All entries must be published in the U.S. Books printed overseas are eligible.
- Books © 2022 and 2023 will be accepted.
- Books must be intended for children from newborn to age twelve.
- Chapter books must have at least eight full-page illustrations.
- Books rendered in traditional and / or digital media are eligible.
- Books entered into previous years’ exhibitions.
- Self-published books.
- Photographic books.
- Books for children over age twelve.
- Consumable activity books.
- Books based on licensed characters.
- Anthologies with multiple, independent illustrators.
- Books illustrated with A.I.-generated or A.I.-assisted art.
Image credit: The World Belonged To Us, illustrated by Leo Espinosa. Published by Nancy Paulsen Books, an imprint of Penguin Random House. Gold Medal winner, The Original Art 2022.
- The cost for submitting work to The Original Art 2023 is $20 per title for SI members, $30 per title for nonmembers.
- Guidelines for payment are provided in the instructional walkthroughs. If you choose to pay by check, please make it payable to: Society of Illustrators.
- Gold Medal and Silver Medals for the best-illustrated books of the year.
- Lifetime Achievement Awards for work that demonstrates an innovative and pioneering contribution to children’s book illustration.
- Dilys Evans Founder’s Award for the most promising new talent of the year.
AWARDS PRESENTATION & SPECIAL PROGRAMS: The Society will be organizing multiple events to celebrate this year’s exhibit and the artists whose work is juried into the show. More information to come.
EXHIBITION & CATALOG: As in 2022, the Society will be accepting framed, original artwork for hanging in the galleries. Please note that it will be the responsibility of the artist or publisher to frame the artwork and have it delivered or shipped to and from the Society. Also note that to support the show and its catalog, there is a hanging / publication fee per accepted book of $35 for SI members, $45 for non-members.
BOOK DISPLAYS & DONATIONS: The Society welcomes the opportunity to display the books that are juried into the show and share them with attendees, including students of all ages; children’s book authors and illustrators; publishing, library, and bookstore personnel; and other fans of children’s books. After the show closes, any books provided for display will be donated to appropriate charities.