Events Manager/Dining Room Captain
The Society of Illustrators is seeking a detail oriented, highly organized Events Manager and Dining Room Captain for our third floor 128 Bar and Bistro, who brings expertise, customer service, communications skills, and a willingness to work hands-on in promoting our mission through events management and in-house hospitality.
Founded in 1901, the mission of the Society of Illustrators is to promote the art of illustration, to appreciate its history and evolving nature through exhibitions, lectures and education, and to contribute the service of its members to the welfare of the community at large. Originally a carriage house built in 1875, the graceful, five-story townhouse on 128 East 63rd Street became the Society’s home in 1939, which today provides illustrators a center to discuss, demonstrate, and exhibit their work, and also houses an elegant dining room open to members and special events. The building hosts not only many of the Society’s membership events, but is also open to professionals, students and the general public to attend lectures, drawing opportunities, competitions, exhibitions and special, catered events.
This position reports directly to the Executive Director.
The following are essential job responsibilities:
Dining Room Captain
- Always greet and welcome guests promptly in a warm and friendly manner.
- Assist guests with or without reservations.
- Ensure guests are serviced in a timely manner.
- Have knowledge of menu and specialty drinks.
- Serve food courses and beverages to guests.
- Bartending skills needed.
- Work well with kitchen staff.
- Maintain cleanliness of all third floor work areas.
- Present accurate final bill, process in POS system; tally cash and credit card settlements.
- Conduct monthly inventory on food and beverage.
- Place orders with vendors.
- Have knowledge of artwork on exhibit.
- Work with Marketing to develop promotional ideas.
- Organize, promote, track and implement all special events both internally and externally. Oversee all aspects of event administration.
- Manage multiple opportunities simultaneously with professionalism and timeliness.
- Host site visits with potential clients.
- Design proposals to meet client’s goals and budgetary constraints.
- Hire outside staff when needed.
- Ensure event staff has proper training and guidance to deliver excellent service.
- Work with outside caterers and vendors.
- Supervise outside event staff and be present at all events.
- Monitor event costs to ensure profitability.
- Process event payments and record into POS system.
- Create monthly summary reports for board meetings.
OTHER JOB DUTIES
- Other duties as assigned, including, but not limited to working as part of team to help with events, greeting visitors, answering phones, taking reservations, setting up for sketch nights.
One to three years experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends.
- Exceptional interpersonal, written and communication skills.
- Strong ability to anticipate issues and commitment to problem solving.
- Experience and sustained success in creating a welcoming atmosphere.
- Able to work in high-paced work environment.
- Calm and planned.
- Excellent listening skills.
- Good documentation skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Highly organized with superb follow through, outstanding judgment and positive attitude.
- Open minded and respectful with a strong ability to build relationships with diverse constituents within the Society’s staff and its members, vendors, the general public and the community.
- Appreciation for esthetics and the beauty of illustrations.
- Strong computer skills: proficiency in Microsoft Office and a working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite.MAC friendly.
- Ability to walk the townhouse stairs easily and frequently.
- One way commuting – less than an hour.
- Interest in the mission of the Society of Illustrators and the work of its members.
The position is currently Part Time Wednesday through Saturday, 10:00am to 4:00pm, with the possibility of Full Time as capacity increases.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to: Anelle Miller, email@example.com.