Details and guidelines for the 2021 Zankel Scholar Call for Entries are available below. The competition will be open for submissions beginning April 2nd, 2021.
The Society of Illustrators is pleased to invite Department Chairs or Administrators for Undergraduate Programs to nominate a JUNIOR level student or students to be considered for the selection as the 2020 ZANKEL SCHOLAR. This is the fifteenth year the Society of Illustrators is proudly presenting this annual educational opportunity. It is named in honor of Arthur Zankel whose generous bequest has made this possible.
Mr. Zankel was a firm advocate for higher education. It is the Society’s honor to seek in his name the best of the JUNIOR class and to financially assist with supporting his/ her/ their SENIOR year. The winner of this award will receive $10,000 towards his/ her/ their senior year tuition.
You are encouraged to consider only your best JUNIOR level student(s). No Freshmen, Sophomores or Seniors. This is an award of merit, so please only consider your BEST student(s). The process requires art, writing and, if chosen to be a finalist, a personal interview. Your nominee must be strong in ALL areas. No Masters candidates, please. This competition is only open to students currently enrolled in a program in the United States.
SUBMISSIONS OPEN: Friday, April 2, 2021
DEADLINE FOR INSTRUCTOR’S TO NOTIFY SI: Friday, April 23, 2021
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: Friday, May 14, 2021
Carlos Aponte, illustrator
Keith Henry Brown, Creative Director and Illustrator
Jim Datz, AD, NYT
LeUyen Pham, illustrator
Martha Rago, VP, Executive Creative Director | Random House Children’s Books
Please note, the competition website will open on April 2nd. Any accounts created before then will not be work for the Scholar Program.
- This competition is only open to students enrolled in a US institution.
- Teachers must email the Society with their list of candidates prior to the students uploading portfolios to the competition site at www.soicompetitions.org. A maximum of five candidates allowed per school. Please include student’s email addresses when notifying SI.
- Once teachers send the list of candidates to SI, the Society will send directions on how to create student accounts. You will need to create a username and password for your students.
- Nominated students can then log onto the competition website using the username and password created by the teacher.
- Once the student has logged in they may begin uploading their portfolios and the written statement, both required for consideration. Students will be creating only ONE portfolio. The title of the portfolio should be their name only. They will then be directed to upload a series of images. All of the images should be entered as one submission.
- A minimum of 10 images and a maximum of 12 images per portfolio are required, not including the statement. Portfolio files should be 72dpi, 10 inches on the longest side, RGB, jpeg. The statement, by the student, should exemplify his/ her/ their passion for illustration and outline his/ her/ their career goals as an illustrator. Statements must be jpeg format and uploaded as the first file in the portfolio, labeled “Statement.jpg”.
- After reviewing all of the nominees, the jury will choose 3 finalists. The Society of Illustrators will schedule an interview and portfolio presentation for each finalist for Monday, June 21st with the jury. Due to the pandemic, all interviews and portfolio presentations will be held virtually over Zoom. Students must be able to attend their virtual interview to be eligible for the award! Once all finalists have had their virtual interviews and portfolio reviews, the jury will discuss and the 2021 ZANKEL SCHOLAR will be chosen the same day.
The 2021 ZANKEL SCHOLAR will receive a $10,000 grant towards tuition. The two semi-finalists will receive $1,000 cash award.
THE ZANKEL SCHOLAR program is under the supervision of:
Melanie Reim, Education Chair
Judy Francis Zankel, Past President
Anelle Miller, Executive Director
Please contact Breann McGovern should you have any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org