Details and guidelines for the 2023 Will Eisner Scholar Call for Entries are available below. The competition will be open for submissions beginning April 10th, 2023.
On behalf of the Will & Ann Eisner Family Foundation, the Society is honored to seek in his name the best of the JUNIOR class and to financially assist with supporting his/ her/ their SENIOR year. The winner of this award will receive $5,000 towards his/ her/ their senior year tuition.
You are encouraged to consider only your best JUNIOR level student(s). No Freshmen, Sophomores, or Seniors. This is an award of merit, so please only consider your BEST student(s). The process requires art, writing and, if chosen to be a finalist, a personal interview. Your nominee must be strong in ALL areas. No Masters candidates, please. This competition is only open to students currently enrolled in a program in the United States who are studying Sequential/Comic Arts.
SUBMISSIONS OPEN: Monday, April 10, 2023
DEADLINE FOR INSTRUCTORS TO NOTIFY SI: Monday, May 1, 2023
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: Friday, May 19, 2023
To be announced soon!
IMPORTANT ELIGIBILITY NOTE:
Please be aware that A. I. Generated or Assisted art is NOT ELIGIBLE for this competition.
Please note, the competition website will open on April 10th. Any accounts created before then will not work for the Scholar Program.
– This competition is only open to students enrolled in a US institution.
– Teachers must email the Society with their list of candidates prior to the students uploading portfolios to the competition site at www.soicompetitions.org. A maximum of five candidates allowed per school. Please include student’s email addresses when notifying SI.
– Once teachers send the list of candidates to SI, the Society will create student accounts. We will create a username and password for your students, then share this with them.
– Nominated students can then log onto the competition website using the username and password created by SI.
– Once the student has logged in they may begin uploading their portfolios and the written statement, both required for consideration. Students will be creating only ONE portfolio. The title of the portfolio should be their name only. They will then be directed to upload a series of images. All of the images should be entered as one submission.
– A minimum of 10 images and a maximum of 12 images per portfolio are required, not including the statement. Portfolio files should be 144 dpi, 10 inches on the longest side, RGB, jpeg. The statement, by the student, should exemplify his/ her/ their passion for comics and outline his/ her/ their career goals as a cartoonist. Statements must be jpeg format and uploaded as the first file in the portfolio, labeled “Statement.jpg”.
– After reviewing all of the nominees, the jury will choose 3 finalists. The Society of Illustrators will schedule an interview and portfolio presentation for each finalist for Wednesday, June 28th with the jury. All interviews and portfolio presentations will be held virtually over Zoom. Students must be able to attend their virtual interview to be eligible for the award! Once all finalists have had their virtual interviews and portfolio reviews, the jury will discuss and the 2023 WILL EISNER SCHOLAR will be chosen the same day.
The 2023 Will Eisner Scholar will receive a $5,000 grant towards tuition.
The two semi-finalists will each receive a $1,000 cash award.
Please contact Breann McGovern should you have any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org