Offering a piercing view of the immigrant experience, Welcome to the New World expands on the New York Times Pulitzer Prize–winning graphic story of the Aldabaans, a refugee family who fled the civil war in Syria only to land in Trump’s America.
This event is free to attend. Zoom registration required (see instructions below if you are new to Zoom).
About the Speakers:
Michael Sloan is a printmaker, illustrator, and award-winning editorial cartoonist. His artwork has appeared in the New York Times, the Washington Post, the Boston Globe, and many other publications. In 2018 he won a Pulitzer Prize for the original New York Times comic strip of Welcome to the New World. Sloan has shown his work in solo exhibitions and received three silver medals from the Society of Illustrators. He is the creator of The Zen of Nimbus comic, and he lives in New Haven.
Jake Halpern is the author of Bad Paper and coauthor of Nightfall, among other books. In 2018 he won a Pulitzer Prize for the original New York Times comic strip of Welcome to the New World. His journalism has appeared in the New Yorker, the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, and the Atlantic. He teaches writing at Yale University in New Haven, where he lives.
Steve Brodner is an independent illustrator, cartoonist, educator, commentator, lecturer, author, living in NY. In a half century his work has appeared in most major publications in the US. He has won many major awards given in the graphic arts including the Master Series Award from the School of Visual Arts in NY.
How to create a zoom acount:
1. Go to zoom.us and click the button “Sign Up For Free”.
2. Input your information on the next pages.
3. An email will be sent to you. Please check your inbox to activate your account. Follow the instructions in the email.
How to register
1. Once the link becomes live, click on the above button highlighted in pink.
2. Input your information on the next screen. You will be directed to pay the $10 fee via paypal. Don’t have a paypal account? There is an option to pay with a credit card. Follow the instructions provided by paypal.
How to activate the “webinar”
1. Once you have registered and paid, an email will be sent to you.
2. Click on the link “Click Here to Join”. This will direct you to the webinar. It will go live when the host joins.